The German Press Agency dpa is a major shareholder of the epa European Press Photo Agency. The services of epa are marketed by its international sales agent gms (Global Media Services), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the German Press Agency dpa.
Pooling the resources of 11 major European news and photo agencies, epa provides an independent high-quality world photo service covering global events from a European perspective. Integrity, independence and responsibility are its guiding principles.
epa International News Photo Service
- daily production up to 1000 images delivered 24/7
- coverage of all classical news categories: politics, business and economics, general interest, sports, arts and culture/entertainment
- coverage is provided by epa's 11 European member agencies, international partners and epa staff photographers stationed around the world
The epa service includes about 1000 photos per day that are fed into the service 24 hours a day and generated by a network of more than 400 photographers worldwide. Around 40 per cent of output originates from within Europe. The images from epa are creative and speak from themselves. Coverage is provided by epa staff photographers along with those of its European member agencies and international partners.
Topics covered include the classical news categories of general news, politics, sports, business, finance, arts, culture and entertainment.
epa International News Photo Archive
- epa’s electronic archive offers more than one million images on all aspects of news and current affairs, for all kinds of media clients, including newspapers, magazines, PR, websites, TV etc.
- more than 400 photos from epa’s worldwide picture sources are added daily
- epa also offers access to millions of images archived in databases of its shareholder agencies
epa is owned by eleven major European news and photo agencies. Its vision is to provide an independent quality world photo service covering global events from a different perspective. It is based on integrity, independence and responsibility. The epa services are provided to you by its international sales agent gms, a wholly-owned subsidiary of German Press Agency dpa.
epa Special Services
- The epa Photogalleries provide a daily selection of 15–20 most significant photos in different sections, such as Best Pictures of the Day, Personalities and Sports, that are updated in real time on a daily basis. Customised photo galleries can also be provided.
- The epa Photo Stories contain three photo stories with five photos per story per day accompanied by a text of around 200 words.
- The epa Picture of the Day is the most outstanding image of the day, chosen by epa. It is accompanied by a caption of at least 80 words.
Photo agencies that have a stake in epa are:
- The Athens News Agency (Greece)
- ANP (Netherlands)
- ANSA (Italy)
- APA (Austria)
- belga (Belgium)
- dpa (Germany)
- EFE (Spain)
- Keystone (Switzerland)
- Lusa (Portugal)
- MTI (Hungary)
- pap (Poland)
The epa international newsphoto service is available via:
- FTP-Push: useful, easy and fast channel for automatic delivery, ideal for stable, powerful Internet connections and clients with FTP knowledge and infrastructure
- FTP-Pull: clients can individually adjust the interval of pulling material from the carrier's server
- Web Pull: easy to use, simple log in
- Satellite: useful for receiving large amounts of data