dpa’s international news service in English provides clear and unbiased coverage of events worldwide with a focus on Germany and Europe. The dpa desks in Berlin and Sydney produce the service around the clock relying on dpa’s correspondent network in 55 cities in Germany and more than 90 countries around the globe.
The international service’s clients include national and international news agencies, newspapers, news portals and news apps on several continents. International organizations, government and private-sector institutions also draw on dpa international content.
dpa English Services GmbH is seeking an experienced Editor / Writer (m/f/d) for our international desk in Berlin, working in a competitive news environment where excellent writing, speed and good knowledge of global affairs are crucial.
What you’ll do
- Plan, coordinate and drive the coverage of stories from all over the world, with a focus on Germany and Europe
- Edit news copy according to dpa standards and style, ensuring accuracy and speed.
- Translate stories from German into English, adapting them for an international audience
- Work closely with reporters in the field
- Source content from partner agencies to complement coverage
- Cooperate very closely with dpa’s German service
- Report about Germany from a foreign correspondent’s point of view
- Manage our website and online presence, tweet breaking news, communicate with our clients, support our photo desk
- Ensure seamless coverage 24/7 in coordination with our Sydney bureau
What we expect from you
- The ability to recognize and develop newsworthy stories of global interest and write / translate accurately under pressure
- Outstanding communication skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Ability to remain calm in high-pressure breaking news situations
- At least two years of full-time editing experience in the news media
- Flexibility and openness to working in the evenings and on weekends
- Advanced-level professional competency in the English language
- Ability to read and translate German, spoken fluency preferred
What we offer
The position offers a great opportunity for an internationally minded journalist who wants to produce up-to-the-minute news stories for a global audience within a modern newsroom environment. The position is currently limited until 31.12.2021.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV and salary expectations via email to:
dpa English Services GmbH
Managing editor: Helen Maguire